Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Happy Anniversary

Happy?! Anniversary -

It's been one year today since I was told I had Cancer.

I'm a changed woman!
  • The obvious physical changes - the temporary foobs, (these things on my chest that somewhat resemble breasts:/)
  • Pre-mature, chemo-induced menopause, complete with the belly fat that goes along with that - NICE!
  • The aches and pains (that I said from the beginning - "that wont happen to me") - I'm good after I get up and get going, but after sitting for any length of time, I look and feel like some 90 year old trying to walk! NICE!
  • For someone who rarely took a tylenol, I now have an arsenal of drugs! One of which keeps the hormones at bay - just one of the side effects is belly fat - this is funny; funny queer, not funny haha - the medicine that is supposed to keep the cancer from coming back causes belly fat, and they say, belly fat predisposes one to breast cancer:) funny, huh?
  • The limited range of motion in my shoulders from surgeries
  • NEW HAIR! I love my hair! I've always had to do a lot with my hair, now - whoo hoo, wash, dry, mess it up a little and spray!!
  • Speaking of hair...I may never have to shave arm pits again...I probably only had 5 hairs there before :) I now only have to draw on half of my eyebrows and I have eyelashes! Hair is good! The things we take for granted...
  • My car, when headed north, auto pilots directly to Siteman Cancer Center - I'm gonna see if I can get that re-programmed for the mall maybe:)
  • Likewise, when headed south, easily finds Cape Oncology - I'm sure there's a bar close that might be as much fun?
  • Where I used to see the Doctor once a year, and then, often put it off - Now, I frequent several offices, in fact - this has become my 'social life'. I'm right at home there!!
OKAY, silliness aside, it has been a crazy year, but no all bad!!!!!!!!
For one thing, I'm a NED - (no evidence of disease) - NO CANCER!
AND, I truly have been blessed far more than I've been inconvenienced.
  • I have caring, competent, kind, physicians
  • I have met amazing individuals
  • My priorities have shifted slightly -
  • I've not only met, but have been able to help others facing the same diagnosis
  • I have beautiful friends and family that care deeply for me
  • Life Really is GOOD!!
And, when all is said and done, I just might have nice boobs!

No comments:

Post a Comment