Good when you consider, as I always have, that when people get chemo, they get SICK!
I think most people still envision the 'head in the toilet - sick'
The good news is that for many chemo meds there are meds now known to combat that side effect.
However, there are a colorful array of other chemo side effects, and as I had intended for my experience to somehow be helpful at some time to someone else effected by this experience, I should then be a little more revealing, than just 'fine' or 'great' -
Experiencing one of the prominent side effects, known as chemo brain, when someone asks me in the future about all of this, I surely will have forgotten most of the details (for some, that won't be a bad thing!) - but again, I want to be informative and helpful!
So, as I've already kinda forgot how I felt with the first treatment, I better jot down now...
A/C every 3 weeks for 4 treatments - Some call this treatment "The Red Devil"
- decrease in appetite - very few things 'sound good' - difficult to decide what to eat.
- indigestion
- fatigue
- altered sleep pattern - may not be able to sleep at night, then can't stay awake when you sit down during the day.
- Brain Fog - some days literally difficult to carry out simple tasks
- chemo brain - forgetful, difficulty finding words, etc.
- weakness
- constipation
- impaired vision
- mouth sores
- Hair loss (almost forgot)
- Chemopause (chemo shuts down ovaries) HOT FLASHES / NIGHT SWEATS, moodiness for some (not me, of course, tee hee)
Taxol / Herceptin (Taxol is Chemo / Herceptin is an antibody)
- Chemo Brain Continues....
- Steroids go with this - definitely altered sleep pattern
- Puffy face
- Bloated / Gas
- weight gain - especially belly / mid section (10lbs and counting...)
- Mouth sores
- constipation / diarrhea (believe it or not, both)
- indigestion
- body aches
- Joint pain
- splitting nails, some fall off
- loss of eye lashes and eye brows
- Hot flashes, Worse night sweats
- impaired vision
- dental decay
- runny nose - nose drip when you least expect it...NICE!
- Nose bleed - also without notice, also NICE!
- Peripheral Neuropathy - tingling / numb hands and feet
- Can cause heart damage
Not everyone gets all of these, or experiences them all at the same time. Some unfortunate girls get it all and then some! My heart sincerely goes out to them!
Someone on the cancer forum that I frequent, put it like this...
Breast Cancer takes a beautiful, vibrant, healthy young lady and turns her into a middle aged man - Bald, flat chested, and Fat!
OK, there's your educational segment on chemo - side effects....
Aren't you glad that when you ask how I'm doing, that I spare you the really glamorous details?
As always and forever...Love to you All!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment