Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Good News!

Hello Everyone!

Weekly Treatment #4 today.. 8 more to go!

Doing Very WELL!! It's taken a little effort to get the 'right combo' down for addressing these side effects...In fact this week, I feel pretty NORMAL!!!

No major complaints, even managed a little get away to Branson with John & Lisa Staggs a couple weeks ago - Although I wasn't 100% and felt like I was in 'slo-mo' they said they didn't notice - I even rode a coaster at Silver Dollar City! Hatless, no less, as it's their policy not to allow 'loose articles' on certain rides. The girl was so sweet - she offered to contact her manager for special permission to let me wear my hat - Of course, it didn't bother me, and I immediately declined and hopped on (To save you from this uncomfortable picture, I was wearing a cute little American Eagle doo rag) So, I wasn't totally 'naked' and didn't look too creepy!
In fact, my hair is coming back in - (now that looks a little creepy - I prefer bald) it started as soon as I finished the first chemo and some have said that theirs continued coming in with this type of chemo (Taxol) We'll see...

Hey, I wonder if I'd been wearing a wig, if that'd been considered 'a loose article' - or - if I had one of those 'fake boobs' - if that'd be considered a 'loose article'? That'd look pretty funny sitting in the complimentary bins provide by these rides!!!

OK, OK, As always and forever, my family is wonderful, especially GLEN!!! We really are just carrying on day to day pretty much normal - Happy, really no obvious stress... Of course Glen is picking up and doing more than usual.. although he's always been a willing doer, he's definitely doing more ...more dishes, more laundry, more 'picking up', more running errands, more school stuff with Matthew, more driving, more trips to the Dr., more, more, more....and I'm quite sure he's tolerating more - maybe we should call him Glenmore.... I do know that He Loves Me and I Love Him More
!!!

Kudos to my Mother as well...she would do even more if I'd let her - but you all know how independent I am!!! In fact, she's coming over again tomorrow night to stay with 'my boys' aka Matthew and Sam (yes the latter is the dog)

I have three appointments Thursday at the Siteman Cancer Center in St. Louis and, yes I know it's only an hour and a half away, but the first appt is early and there will be more traffic, and I don't like mornings, so we just thought we'd go up tomorrow night and get a room. Found a hotel that's actually considered 'on campus' at the hospital - it's in the Central West End, we've never stayed there - so what little time we'll be there, will be a new adventure!! ....Yes I know I'm fortunate, maybe some would consider 'pampered'...and I am continually grateful for my many blessings!!!!!

Which Brings Me To 'THE GOOD NEWS' That We got today...

I think I mentioned in previous posts that my cancer is responding well to chemo - well, it has been, but the breast tumor is still 'there' and I've been able to feel it and the Dr. had been able to feel and measure it still as well. But, today, after only 3 of these treatments, it's less palpable and so soft that she could not measure - in fact if I didn't know it was there I don't think I'd notice it!!!
She told us that she is sure that by the time I finish chemo and go into surgery, that it will be GONE!!
I have never asked about specific prognosis - not really sure why - I really have felt all along that we'll handle this day at a time and the outcome will be positive... and if it's not, we'll deal with that when it comes.... and maybe, I just didn't want the chance of hearing that because my cancer is an aggressive type that it's whatever percent likely that it'll will recur, because, maybe that would interfere with my ability to remain postive....and, not everyone with similar diagnoses respond to treatment the same way, I don't know, but anyway....
She went on to say that my aggressive tumor is responding to the treatment (herceptin - that just a few years ago wasn't available) and that with the treatments I've received, the response I'm having, and the treatments yet to come, that the percentage of a recurrance for me is less than 5%!! In Cancer World, That is HUGE!!!

Closing for now, Love to You All!!!!!

Di Di






No comments:

Post a Comment