
Hi Everyone! I must confess, it did take a little longer to 'bounce back' from this last dose of the 'bad chemo' - Have been a little sluggish aka 'lazy'!! The remote's mine, the beer belongs to Glen
Today, however, I got back in touch with my mii on the wii and did an hour of combined yoga and aerobics, I even jogged!!
And yes, EVERYTHING jiggles!! I am soft!!
Spent much time on the cancer forum last week and on the phone researching surgery options. It seems that although my surgeon says ABSOLUTELY NO to reconstruction before radiation, that many are doing it and without any ill effects!!
So, crazy me - if I can work it out, I'm considering bilateral mastectomy, AND tissue expanders placed at that time, And hysterectomy. ...Merry Christmas to me!! I've always thought it would be nice for our family to head to the Caribbean for a week for the holidays instead of Christmas gifts....Wow, I especially would like that instead of this type of holiday, I'm not whining, I'm just sayin'....
I'll try to explain...
- Bilateral Mastectomy - Although I only have (maybe had?!) cancer in left breast, I don't want to have to go through this again - imagine that!
-
Tissue Expanders - I guess could be described as 'empty' implants. They're placed where those breasts used to be - beneath the skin that's left following the mastectomy. They're then gradually filled to stretch the skin and create the space for the permanent implants. From what I've seen, they're hard, uncomfortable, and not very shapely, but they serve their purpose well. - Hysterectomy - The type of cancer cell that I have thrives on hormones - so, I'll be taking a medication for some time following all of this that shuts down the ovaries -I'm pretty much done with those babies anyway. And apparently the medication that I take to do this has also been linked to endometrial cancer. So, if I can eliminate the endometrium, eliminate those worries.
the less anesthesia for me, the happier I'd be!!
To explain the rationale for the 'no reconstruction with radiation' and my apparent rebellion...
With radiation, there'll be tissue damage to that area. I'm praying for not much more than a bad sunburn, but I don't want to be greedy.
Anyway, the damage is not only on the surface. Underlying tissue can react in different ways, but can contract, develop additional scar tissue, etc. All of which can wreak havoc with the pocket in which the tissue expander aka 'my future breast' lies.
BUT, it is also possible that everything will be fine and whatever scar tissue, if any, has developed can be taken care of when the tissue expanders are removed and the implants are placed.
So, in my attempt to explain, I've again gotten rather wordy!!
I'm looking forward to a 'girls night out' tonight - kind of a reunion of such - of my Perry County Nursing Home co-workers - that more importantly, are now life-long friends!!
I'm thankful for all of my friends and family, love and prayers!!!
And I need to send special recognition to the girls that work for us, as they are amazing!! They were amazing before all of this - as they truly take the very best care of our residents, they all genuinely care!!
But, they have picked up and assumed additional responsibility without even being asked, have worked out schedule changes, screened calls, handled issues, etc. - When I'm there, my time is more productive as I'm not putting out little fires all of the time. Thank You Girls!!!
I just got another little workout in - friend called and reminded me the Tour of Missouri was

about to pass - I grabbed the dog & leash, and Melyssa and I ran - yes ran, and I already mentioned that everything jiggles...ran up hill two blocks, but we got to see it!!
Very impressive!! Amazing how fast they're going and HOW CLOSE....The ICU nurse in me makes nearly everything a 'head injury waiting to happen'! Anyway, glad we ran and glad we made it!!
Love to all!!
No comments:
Post a Comment